Archive for November 11th, 2009

35 kilometers

Wednesday, November 11th, 2009

Reported currents at the 7 pm surfacing were nearly due east, running 12 cm/sec.  Scarlet is doing a bit over 15 cm/sec relative to the water.  A good speed at this stage.  We'll hold the waypoint for this 7 pm to 3 am segment, and again for the 3 am to 11 am segment.  Then we'll shift the waypoint north 15 minutes and run parallel to the northeast velocity vectors in the satellite altimetry. 

Distance to the Spanish EEZ is 35 km.  Scarlet flew a total distance of 22 km in the last 24 hours.  Clicking off the segments, the friday 11 am surfacing will be one to watch.  We'll see if we can set up for the live broadcast from the COOLroom. http://rucool.marine.rutgers.edu/index.php/COOL-Room-Web-Cam/COOL-Room-Web-Cam.html

I'll have to figure out what to do with by 10:55 to 12:15 class.  Either the glider surfacing or the class has to be moved.   More on that decision tomorrow.

 

091111_ru27_alt_zoom_3

One thing we are watching more closely is the vessel traffic. We are entering the most dangerous waters of the entire journey. Students have been monitoring vessel traffic off of Spain for at least the last month.  Below is one of the worst traffic cases.  It looks like there is no place that is totally safe, and there are some yellow lines we are very worried about crossing. We will need to minimize our surface time.  Changes for every surfacing will need to be planned in advance.  We won't want to keep this glider at the surface while we make up our minds on what to do next.

 

091111_ru27_ships

Storm warning!

Wednesday, November 11th, 2009

Storm David & all,

I was just informed of the impending weather for our gliders:

This is nearshore, it could be worse where some of the vehicles are:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=phi&FcstType=text&zmx=1&zmy=1&site=PHI&map.x=259&map.y=168

Right now we are blowing 20-30 knots from the NE, smack into the gliders:
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44025

This is going to last into Sunday, its going to be very interesting.

I am not sure what the plans are for the gliders but each one is going to likely fall at least 20 miles to the SW.  Gliders can swim perpendicular to currents and get places but not into them.  I think that is what is happening for ru21.  The predominant current in that area is to the SSW:
http://marine.rutgers.edu/cool/codar/real-time/archiveviewer_mab.php

I am sending these links because there is a Nor'easter coming and were not going to be able to go anywhere.  These are the links we usually use so that all can track.

No gliders are in danger.

ud_134 is going to be blown quite south.  This might seal the deal on a Delaware recovery I was throwing around.  We will see come Sunday and how we approach this storm and where we end up + remaining battery life.

ru05 will get blown too and hopefully have enough battery to make it back.  We will look at battery levels come end of the week to see if we need to turn off upcast sampling to buy us some time.

What we need to decide is what we want to do for the next 3 days or so for science. Were forcasted 30 knots through Friday.  Do we want to station keep (we will lose but will fall away the least amount) as best we can?  Waypoints to the NE at a decent distance will do this and leave current correction on.  If we want the gliders to get somewhere its going to take some fancy flying and should be discussed on case by case basis and no NE waypoint is likely going to be obtained.  We will start to see the blow soon, ru21 is seeing because of the direction it is heading.

I will continue to monitor the gliders and send out another email if need be.

Thanks for reading.
David Aragon

The Room Speaks and we have an OOI community decision

Wednesday, November 11th, 2009

Today at the community workshop at the end of lunch, we asked the room to decide on a group mission.  The room has spoken, and the answer is muddeled!!!!!  I gave the room around 100 people 2 choices.  The first choice was to fan out, the second choice was to come together.  In grand fashion it was a 50/50 split, so as a compromise we will bring two gliders together.  And we will fan two gliders out.  So here is the plan

Lets move RU21 and the Blue Hen to meet each other.  The rendevous site is 39 degrees and 26 minutes.

For the other gliders to split them out, RU05 and RU23 lets move them apart.  I don't have any strong opinions so leave that to the roup, I just want to avoid shipping lanes.

I am unlikely going to be able to make the phone call, can the group using the planning tools to drive home the potential to room tomorrow morning.  Make us look smart!!

44 kilometers – http://www.i-c…

Wednesday, November 11th, 2009

44 kilometers - http://www.i-cool.org/?p=4407

44 kilometers

Wednesday, November 11th, 2009

Results from Scarlet's 11 am surfacing are shown below.  The reported ocean current is a bit of a surprise, 12 cm/s to the SE.  Its certainly not on our satellite map.  Satellites say the currents should be to the NE. We'll check what products we have from Spain. We are continuing to fly NE.  Same objective cross into Spanish waters (thin yellow arc) follow currents to NE and into the yellow eddy discussed in the morning blog.  44 kilometers to the Spanish EEZ.

091111_ru27_alt_zoom_2

The daily group image

Wednesday, November 11th, 2009

From Lisa to the group:

Attached are the most recent tracks,  11/11/09
Includes tomorrows EO-1 target.
Too cloudy to update SST.
FYI, target alert has been posted this AM for EO-1 tasking. (the red thumb tack)

ru21_23_05_ud134_1111091

OOI community workshop begins, I explore the ocean from the back of the room

Wednesday, November 11th, 2009

Quick update as I sit in the back of the room at the OOI community workshop.  We will be re-tasking the gliders based on input from the community here at the workshop.  So a quick check on the progress from last night.  The gliders have made good progress overnight and I believe we will be able to reach the way-points defined by the reachability envelop.  Of course there is variability in the envelops depending on the ocean forecast used and we should get valuable glider  information on which model envelop provided the best representation of the ocean experienced by the gliders.  Yesterday, the ensemble was spot on to the glider location.

slide115

Today I am going to be a biologist, once again showing my obsession with the Mid-Atlantic Bight winter bloom.  The bloom appears to be growing in intensity, and there appears to be increasing water column structure.  The phytoplankton appear to inceasingly found in the upper water column, earlier in the deployment the phytoplankton were distributed throughout the water column.  The intensity of the blooms appears to have increased as blooms have segregated int the surface waters.  One of the paradigms is that winter blooms are driven by light regulation.  Historical analysis suggests that the phytoplankton bloom in the winter when winds are low and the water column is somewhat stable allowing the cells to maintained in the upper water column where there is sufficient light to grow.  Looking at the temperature records from the gliders it appears that the water column shows some increased stability as indicated by the evolution of some moderate thermal structure.  The blooms appear to be associated with the changes thermal structure.  The salinity has not changed over the deployment period, with a nearshore slug of low salinity water.

ru05_091030t1653_091111t1057_osse_chla_xsec

ru05_091030t1653_091111t1057_osse_temp_xsec

ru05_091030t1653_091111t1057_osse_dens_xsec

Morning Update – 50 kilometers…

Wednesday, November 11th, 2009

Morning Update - 50 kilometers - http://www.i-cool.org/?p=4391

Morning Update – 50 kilometers

Wednesday, November 11th, 2009

Tail current has decreased to 8 cm/sec.  Scarlet's speed relative to the water is holding steady at 17 cm/sec. Still moving along the line to the northeast, targeting the outer edge of the green circle.   If we try to stay in the green circle, we could get advected south to Lisbon.  So we'll continue moving around the outer edge of the green and into the yellow circle as best we can.  West of the yellow circle is the eddy of unknown sign, the area of high uncertainty identified in red.  East of the yellow circle is another racetrack shaped eddy that circulates through the ship lanes.  One ship every 12 minutes in the main line.  As of this morning, the yellow area is our target.

Distance to the Spanish EEZ is down to 50 km.

091111_ru27_alt_zoom

58 Kilometers – http://www.i-c…

Wednesday, November 11th, 2009

58 Kilometers - http://www.i-cool.org/?p=4389